Bumper bashing is unpleasant and very stressful regardless of its severity. Through all the shock, panic, and stress, it is very easy to forget some crucial steps which can affect your insurance and road accident fund claim. CMH Nissan Hillcrest has put together a simple checklist to assist.
What should be done if you’re in an accident
- Ensure that all passengers in the vehicle are physically unharmed before getting out of your vehicle.
- Ensure that there is no oncoming traffic before exiting the vehicle.
- Switch on your hazard lights and place a triangle on the road to alert oncoming traffic.
- Call and inform a relative what has happened, let them know you are uninjured and your location. Let them know that you will call back in a short while if you need assistance.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident and confirm what the correct towing service to use is.
- Take photos or a video of the accident scene, number plates, license disc of any other vehicle involved and damages.
- Keep calm and don’t get involved in any arguments with the other party involved.
- Move the vehicles to the shoulder or off the road once you checked there are no injuries to anyone involved and it’s safe.
- Vehicles may not be moved if anyone has been injured. An ambulance and the police need to be called.
Information to collect from other parties involved including witnesses
- Full names and surname (Company details if it’s a company vehicle)
- ID numbers
- Cell, work and home contact numbers
- Email address
- Physical address
- Vehicle registration number
- Make, model and colour of the vehicle
- Contact details of tow truck driver, paramedics and police officials
- Your location: street name and suburb
- Time the accident took place
- Visibility and road conditions
After leaving the accident site
- Within 24 hours report the accident at the nearest police station
- Take note of the accident report reference number and the name of the officer you had spoken to
- Draw a sketch of the accident scene, make sure it contains a fixed point to be easily traced
CMH Nissan Hillcrest parts department will assist you with any genuine Nissan parts your vehicle may require.
Contact us on 087 723 9093 or visit www.nissanhillcrest.co.za