Bumper Bashing Can Be Stressful regardless of its severity. Through all the panic and stress, it is easy to forget some crucial steps that can affect the outcome of your insurance and road accident fund claim. CMH Nissan Hillcrest has put together a simple checklist to assist.
What to do if you are involved in an accident:
• Before getting out of your vehicle, ensure that all passengers are physically unharmed.
• Ensure that there is no oncoming traffic before exiting the vehicle.
• Switch on your hazard lights before stepping out of the vehicle. Place a triangle on the road to alert oncoming traffic.
• Call a relative to inform them what has happened and give them your location. Ask them to be on standby in case you need assistance.
• Report the accident to your insurance company and ascertain that you use the correct towing service.
• Take photos or a video of the accident scene, damages, number plates, and license disc of any other vehicle involved.
• Try to remain as calm as possible and avoid getting involved in a shouting match with the other party or parties involved.
• Assess vehicle occupants for injuries and move the vehicles to the shoulder or off the road once complete.
• Report injuries to the police and call an ambulance. In this case, vehicles must remain on the scene until the police give the go-ahead to move.
Get the following information from all other drivers involved as well as any witnesses:
• Full name and surname of the driver or the company they work for if it’s not a personal car.
• ID numbers,
• Home, cell, and work phone numbers,
• Physical address,
• Email addresses,
• Vehicle registration number,
• Description of the vehicles (make, model and colour).
• Names and contact details of the police officials, paramedics, and tow truck drivers,
• Your location: street name and suburb,
• At the time of the accident,
• Road conditions and visibility.
After the accident:
• Report the accident at the nearest police station within 24 hours.
• Write down the name of the police officer spoken to and the accident report reference number.
• Draw a sketch plan of the accident scene and ensure it contains a fixed point so easy traceability.
Come into CMH Nissan Hillcrest and let us assist you with proper vehicle care. Contact us at 031 763 3121 or visit CMH Nissan Hillcrest for more details on our brand, accessories, and monthly specials.